13 February 2008

Amaryllis


I gave my aunt a big tendrilly amaryllis bulb for Christmas and a serious weeding tool. Here is the amaryllis as it stands so far. So you see, James, when I used a certain word in a sestina of mine, I was only speaking accurately. Replacing fauna for flora, however, fully merited the squirrel illustration I received from you in the margins, which I prize to this day.

While I understand people not caring for "flowery" poetry, one has to admit, the names of some flowers are just so delicious. Next time you're stressing, just try saying amaryllis in a low voice a few times. Tell me that doesn't feel good.

3 comments:

modernaged said...

Kevin -- seriously -- that is the most phallic flower I've seen in my entire life.

I don't know if it's just the way the photo is taken, but damn, that is absolutely frightening.

modernaged said...

PS- it also looks like a lit birthday candle.





That is all.

frankie teardrop said...

i'm going to agree with dan here. circle gets the square.