15 April 2008

Katherine Mansfield

Before

After



Often, I may not like a piece of fiction or poetry while reading it, but when forced to closely read it and derive its full meaning and the way it deploys those meanings, I am in awe of how much there is to find, and what a good piece of writing it really is. Today's class, with the help of my peers, I developed much more respect than I had whil reading for "Prelude" and discovered that Mansfield's "Bliss" is a bliss of another kind.

The influential modernist writer died young and left quite an impact. For a more full story, see this article.

There is a boy-man who stalks outside our classroom starting at around 6:20 and has even gone so far as to knock and open the door in the middle of our venerable professor teaching to whine that he has class in there and to urge that we get a move on. As scholars, we sometimes become too tolerant and passive and understanding. He made some comment as I took a ten seconds to photograph the notes I made on the board for the elucidation of my points for my classmates in order to make a handout to the effect of "hurry up, we have a test," while we had not yet even begun to carve into his class time. Such minor bullying is unthinkable on such an upstanding campus as our own when no lines have been crossed. The next time that little chuffer comes by huffing and puffing outside our door, harassing our rightful last five minutes of class, I am going to have words with him. I restrained today, because I had no civilized way of saying it immediately available on my tongue and I was suddenly struck by how ill he must be and compassion replaced command and conviction.

But something needs to be said.




In other news, I started To The Lighthouse. Oh, boy. This is going to be fun. It is already showing evidence of being one of the best novels ever written. I am very pleased. I have discovered I need to start new books two weeks ahead of their due date, as one week is not enough to read an entire novel for me. Back to it, before the woolf is at the door.

5 comments:

noiselessinfinity said...

What time does your class end? Also, is this you grad class that you are taking, or the class that you are teaching? In either case, if the class is not over, then this obsessive-compulsive weirdo has no right to be pushy. If I remember correctly, there's usually a 15 minute window between classes, so why the heck is he being such an annoyance?

Yes, have words with him. Such impatience when there's plenty of time to work with is inexcusable.

modernaged said...

Isn't that 10 minute period between classes used for switching teachers and allowing setup time?

tell that worm to get a life and wait an extra five minutes. nothing he will be teaching requires an additional five minutes of your time to prepare.

frankie teardrop said...

just yesterday, i wrote that i'd have a blast in your class, but in the end, i'd probably go blind from trying to read what's on the blackboard.

fuck compassion, sometimes. if the sniveling snot keeps whining up a storm on your turf, have a word or two with him. use your tongue wisely, but wickedly, should he be as persistent as a college virgin.

KLA* said...

This is one of the classes I'm taking. Yeah, my hand writing is something else. In my own class, I have a large dry erase board and black marker, so it's a bit more legible. I used to think this guy was the teacher, but last class it dawned on me that he is actually a student. I'm not sure if that makes it any more or less insufferable.

jrs said...

I think he has an "issue." What's the p.c. way of saying that, these days?

He IS seriously annoying though.

And yes, Ginny (I'm allowed to call her that) is AMAZING, and TtL is an AMAZING book. Not the best ever written, mind you, but it's up there.

i <3 ginny.